A SHORT HISTORY OF PARK CHURCH

 

On 9 January 1857, 15 men met in Ardrossan and agreed to take steps to form a United Presbyterian Church Congregation.

 

The first elders were ordained in May of that year and the first Communion held on 26 July 1857.  The first minister was inducted on 22 December 1857  and the original church building in Glasgow Street (now the Church of the Nazarene) was opened for public worship on 27 December 1857.

 

In 1900 the congregation agreed to union with the Free Church and the church became Park United Free Church of Scotland.

 

In 1929 the congregation assented to union with the Church of Scotland retaining the name “Park” and was allocated a parish in Ardrossan, North of Eglinton Road.

 

In 1942, the congregation agreed, with the approval of Presbytery to be ‘transported’ eventually to a new building situated centrally in the Park Parish.

 

In 1958 work began on the present building in Dalry Road and the congregation was formally moved to the new location on 26 September 1959.   At this stage the congregation adopted the Model Constitution Quoad Sacra of 1931 (as amended).

 

 

Ministers
  Rev William Rigby Murray  1857 – 1860
  Rev Simon S Stobbs 1861 – 1872
  Rev William McGilchrist 1873 – 1911
  Rev Campbell Stephen 1911 – 1917
  Rev Robert Whiteford 1918 – 1942
  Rev James S Clark 1943 – 1949
  Rev Donald Currie 1950 – 1964
  Rev David Lyall 1965 – 1971
  Rev George B Wilson 1972 – 1977
  Rev Kenneth J Pattison 1977 – 1984
  Rev Alexandeer Downie 1985 – 1997
  Rev William Johnstone  1998 – 2009
  Rev Tanya Webster 2011 –
 

Rev Marion Howie also served as auxiliary minister alongside the ministers from 1991 - 2009